View Single Post
Old December 15, 2010, 10:16 PM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

I can't speak for any of the newer made rifles, except that the asking price is well beyond what I think they are worth (but then, thats true of nearly everything these days).

I got mine back in the mid 80s, and all the parts except the receiver are GI. Mine still has the hole in the stock for the FA parts! No problems of any kind, ever.

As to the open receiver being a problem, well, it is, and it isn't. Yes, its easy for stuff to get in there, but its also easy to get the stuff out. The M14 is a refinement of the M1 action, and for some reason, lots of WWII vets (and others) think highly of that rifle.

That being said, EVERYTHING JAMS!!!! Even AKs! Take care of your rifle, and it will take care of you.

Quote:
our military switched to something a little more grunt-friendly...
I don't recall the M16/M16A1 being more "grunt friendly" than the M14 (or the M1). Rather the opposite, in fact.

Unfortunately, like the 1911A1 pistol, the more modern makers tweak and "improve" the M14 (M1A), the further it seems to go from the rugged and reliable weapon it is in stock GI trim.

The M1A is a very good rifle (or at least they were when first made), but its not the be all, end all of rifles, NO rifle is. I really love mine, and have kept it, while H&Ks and FALs have come and gone. I just shoot it better than the others.

If you get a match gun, don't expect it to be happy in the trenches. IF you get one that is field suitable, don't expect match accuracy. There's no free lunch. And this is true for a lot more guns than the M1A.

Page generated in 0.06349 seconds with 8 queries