View Single Post
Old November 27, 2008, 08:11 PM   #1
tackdriver

Noooooooo! Grandpa's shotgun

Got a new gunsafe as an early Christmas present today. I put all the longguns in there and remembered that my great-grandfather's Fox Sterlingworth (yeah, it's a post-Savage '33ish model I think) was still broken down. I went to put it together when I noticed the barrel wasn't locking up. I looked at the tang and the thingamagig that you thumb over to break the barrel is stuck on the tang. It won't swing all the way in line with the barrel.
So, then I thumbed it over to break the barrel again and noticed that it had dinged the stock and bitten into the tang enough to scratch the metal.
So, after five minutes of throwing up, I gave up and decided I could only do more harm.
I've never been able to figure out what grade it is, but I am supposing it's a fancy one that wasn't well cared for before I got it and was cleaned, broken down and stored when I did get it. I've seen similar guns for sale for $1,600 and up.
It needs serious TLC and the receiver fixed for starters. I do not want to send this to Clem the gunsmith at the local shop. Can someone recommend a smith who works on these old guns?

Page generated in 0.03368 seconds with 8 queries