View Single Post
Old February 27, 2013, 12:37 PM   #31
Gaerek

Quote:
What I recommend for people who have the same concerns as you is this: carry the gun without a round in the chamber, but keep the striker cocked. When the day is over and you go to remove the gun from the holster and put it wherever you do at night remove the magazine and check to see if the striker has fallen. This will show you that the gun would not have discharged while you were out and about during the day. I tell them to continue to do this as it builds their trust in the safety features of the gun and the holster. This also works for those who want to carry a 1911, but are hesitant to carry cocked and locked.
This is exactly what I did. When I first started carrying, I was paranoid I'd have an ND. So I started by carrying without a round in the chamber with the striker cocked. After 2 or 3 weeks of doing this, and not having the striker fall, I was pretty confident it wouldn't just go off. I've been carrying for over a year now, no ND, and not even a close call.

Some tips.

A gun won't go off in a purpose designed holster that covers the trigger guard. With this in mind, when my gun is loaded with a round in the chamber, it is always holstered. The only exception to this, obviously, is when I'm shooting. If I'm not shooting, but I need to remove the gun from the holster for some reason (cleaning, dry fire, showing someone), the mag is dropped, slide is racked and locked back, and chamber/mag well double checked.

Page generated in 0.03418 seconds with 8 queries