Thread: Good Deer Hunt
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2005, 01:50 AM   #1
Iowa Cornfed

Good Deer Hunt

Got back from our hunt in Nebraska. All four hunters tagged out, and my boy killed the biggest of the bunch!

I was using a Remington 700 in .270 and 130 grain Federal Fusion ammo. At 100 yards I hit my buck right behind the shoulder for a double lung shot. He still went on an 80 yard death run, but the Fusion performed as advertized.

My boy used a Browning BAR in '06, again using 150 grain Federal Fusion ammo. His shot was at 204 range finder yards, and was a tad high and a tincy back, as he hit him high in the back and dropped him like a rock. Broken spine, and since he was flailing his head around trying to get up, he gave another finishing shot.

I caped his out today for a shoulder mount and got it down to the taxidermist.

I've uploaded 3 pictures, but am not sure if they'll show up in this post. I may have to do some more reading up on how to get that to happen.

If they do, my boy's the one on the far right with the biggest one. Only his second buck, so he was pumped to say the least. (And his old man was pretty proud too!!!)

The other 2 pictures are of his caped head, and my buck in the truck.

I hope they show up so I don't have any more tinkering around to do on how to post pix!!!

But it was a blast, and we saw most weather extreams. Driving over on Friday it was 84 degrees and we had to use the A/C, wind and rain by Saturday evening, and by Tuesday a storm dropped about 4" of snow and the wind was unreal. Sitting on stand Wednesday morning it was a balmy 12 degrees. The whole trip was a hoot, but doing it with my son, my brother-in-law and his son just made it even better. Took tons of pictures, not that we won't remember it anyway!

If the pix don't show up, I'll keep trying to find out how and will maybe post 'em later.
[Inserted images by Long Path]

Last edited by Iowa Cornfed; February 5, 2006 at 01:28 PM.

Page generated in 0.02900 seconds with 8 queries