View Single Post
Old February 27, 2007, 01:19 PM   #55
The Gamemaster

I spent about a hour reading this post.

I was not aware that there was such a post until one person invited me to read it.

I'm not here to beat a dead horse and I did not make my name up because of this post.

Out of all the guns that I have ever owned, my rifle is my best friend.

I would take it to church with me if I could.

My goal in life was to find a gun that did it all.
That instilled so much confidence in my shooting ability that I knew that all I had to do was point and shoot.
No need to think about where I had the sling, where my body was pointed, no worries that I might not be good enough to get the job done.

I went through the Model 70's and the best ones I had was a Pre 64' 220 Swift and a Pre 64' 308.
With all the calibers of guns out there and all the new gimic calibers that they come out with that are supposted to be the next great thing.
The 220 Swift is a real screamer.
But it is not a deer caliber of gun and a person that hunts to eat would never carry it on a deer hunt.

The 308 is just fine for deer, just that after you shoot a couple you get bored with one shot one kill deer.

There has to be more of a challenge.

I have a Savage Model 110 or it's likeness that was made about 1936.

It had a 4x Weaver scope and a Williams mount that you could flip over to get access to the open sights.

What you would want to do that for I would never know.

I made my reputation with that old gun.

I could put 4 hand loaded 06' bullets in a 1 inch circle at 200 yards just as easy as you could do it with a .17 HRM.

It wasn't a pretty gun, it didn't have any high power optics or even a good scope mount.

It was just something that Savage should never stop making.

A real nice trigger from the factory that isn't creapy and breaks at the same point everytime.

A real rifleman does not remember the shots he made.
He remembers the ones that he missed.
Because the ones that you miss are the ones that you learn from. What did I do wrong? What happened to the rifle / scope when I missed? Did the sound of the shot sound any different than all the rest?

Was it my fault or was it the gun / scope? Or was it my fault?

When you get to the point where you can shoot 100 yards and you can tell the person beside you where you hit on the target as soon as you pulled the trigger without looking at the target in your scope = that is a Rifleman!

But shooting targets does not make you a rifleman.

When the targets are running through the woods with trees and brush and you are running after them with your chest heaving and can still make your shots count. That is a rifleman.

Last edited by The Gamemaster; February 27, 2007 at 04:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.03225 seconds with 8 queries