View Single Post
Old January 4, 2014, 01:10 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

Hot wash....

There are a few points to consider for events like this critical incident.

1) In fluid, high stress events like this, Id have a SOP or training policy that the LE officer(trooper/officer/agent/deputy/etc) who initiated the contact or started the traffic stop be the only officer/deputy who yells commands/instructions. Multiple deputies/officers yelling adds to the confusion & stress. Unless a senior officer or supervisor gets on scene & takes control, the first LE officer should do the talking-negotiating.
2) Train to deploy gear & accessories quickly. If you watch closely you see the uniformed deputies work the white-lights, slings, radios, etc. Emotions run high & stress can be a factor but knowing where things are & how to access them smoothly is important.
A recent gun magazine article advised armed professionals to train to perform magazine reloads w/o looking at the weapon. Is that easy? No. But keeping an eye on the scene or subject(s) is critical.
3) If K9 was available, I would have attempted to let the subject stay contained & release a working dog on him. I've seen police K9s at crime scenes first-hand. They can be a great way to deter a non-compliant subject & it's safer for the officers on scene.
4) I would avoid saying or using slang, insults, terms of endearment(bud, pal, brother, son, etc). It might confuse or irritate the unstable subject. Some working cops can say its a good control or patrol technique but I disagree. I think it's condescending & not always a practical way to de-escalate a critical incident.
5) There's safety in numbers. In some points of the incident, the cops bunch up then seem to cross each other's line of fire.
In the part where the subject moved away from the road & further into the weeds/treeline, the uniformed deputies should have armed themselves with patrol rifles or police shotguns on either side & bracketed the subject in.

Clyde

Page generated in 0.02196 seconds with 8 queries