View Single Post
Old January 17, 2013, 03:27 AM   #19
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChutter
Nice range report. Sounds like you got your moneys worth. So help me out since you have both. Ive got $300 dollars to spend and I want the most accurate, durable, and best overall functioning .22 pistol. Ruger or Beretta?
You just had to ask me that... again. I was hoping to avoid that. I think in all honesty, they are equals. The newest Rugers have heavy triggers, a magazine disconnect, and a loaded chamber indicator. The Ruger magazines are blued steel, gritty and rough. The Ruger comes drilled and tapped for an included optic rail. The bull barrel Rugers are extremely accurate. There is a huge aftermarket for the Ruger. The triggers can be fixed with drop in parts, good for someone who isnt comfortable with filing, stoning and polishing internal parts. The factory sights are very good.

The Beretta is built to the same quality level as the Ruger. No magazine disconnect, no loaded chamber indicator. Magazines are stainless, and silky smooth. Takedown, and cleaning is a breeze. Barrels interchange with different lengths. The Beretta has a built in optic rail. The open sights are a little crude, the front sight is chunky, thinner would help accuracy a little. The trigger is light, but gritty. No aftermarket trigger parts, so if you want improvement, its you, or a Smith. The Beretta has an ambidextrous safety lever. The magazine release on the Beretta is on the right side above the trigger. a little odd, but works, and feels fine. There is a carbine kit available to turn the Neos into a .22 rifle.($250)

They both have a 10 shot capacity, and lock open on an empty magazine. Both come standard with 2 magazines. The grip angle on the Beretta is steep, similar to the Mark series. The grip angle on the Ruger 22/45 is straighter, all feel fine to me. The 22/45 doesnt have a spring loaded bolt release. You have to push down the bolt release button with one hand, while pulling back the bolt with the other to close the bolt, or chamber a round. This is annoying to me. The Mark series steel frame gun, and the Beretta have spring loaded bolt releases, all you do is pull back the bolt, and the release lever drops automatically. Its a well known fact with the Ruger, not to simply close the bolt by pushing down the lever. Slingshotting the bolt is the correct, and damage free way to close the bolt. I dont know about the Beretta, but slingshotting the bolt is again the correct, and damage free way. Thats why I bring up the fact that the 22/45 isnt spring loaded. The safety on the Beretta can be engaged with the pistol uncocked. The Ruger cannot. The Beretta also has a cocked indicator. The Ruger does not.

I think either pistol is a great choice, and there is no clear winner IMHO. The Beretta is easier to break down, clean, and reassemble. The Ruger has over 60 years of field use, without many problems or breakages. I think they are equals as far as accuracy. The Ruger looks like a clunky pistol. The Beretta looks like Italian art. Buy them both...

Last edited by weblance; January 17, 2013 at 03:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.02659 seconds with 8 queries