Thread: 45-70 "short"
View Single Post
Old November 3, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Clark

I have been working on reduced 45/70 loads for a long time.

I have got it down to sounding like a pellet gun and killing a raccoon with a body shot.

I started out reducing the powder charge.
1) Put 1 gr of Bullseye in the case. Put the cast bullet in the case mouth.
The load is quiet, but the bullet bounces off cardboard.

2) Put 1 gr of Bullseye in the case. Shove wads into the case. Shove the cast bullet down into the case to compress the powder.
The load is quiet. The bullet goes through 1" of wood.
But the accuracy is terrible. The jump to the lands is in inches.

3) Fill the case with steel. Drill a flash hole. Put 1 gr of Bullseye on top of the metal. Put a bullet over that. That load can be silent but deadly, but it may be noisy and the bullet may fall off the case. The bullet must seal the case at the lands. The metal must be tall enough to push the bullet into the lands. There must be a crimp or glue to hold the bullet in place. The metal can shoot out. The metal can take a long time to machine. The metal may not fit.

4) Make a spread sheet for the difference between the taper of the chamber and the thickness of the cross section of the brass at any point in 0.1" increments from the case web. Make the filler from Aluminum 1/2" round stock. Make a list for the DRO of the lathe. Clean the new case, clean the insert, and shove it in with Loctite and force. Drill the flash hole big enough for what will be used to de prime the case.

Shown in the pic are:
1) a 45/70 case with the metal inserted and drilled, with a drill going through the large flash hole.
2) The aluminum insert.
3) A round loaded with a 145 gr .458" cast bullet
http://westernbullet.com/45riflecaliber.html

Here is some of my test data from 5/11/2010 with a 22" barrel.
[The longer the barrel the greater the volume for the gas to expand to non super sonic escapement pressure .. one atmosphere above ambient. So the more barrel length, the more velocity is possible and still be quiet.]

0.6 gr Bullseye .....287 fps........ quiet
0.7 gr Bullseye .....384 fps........ quiet
0.8 gr Bullseye .....354 fps........ quiet
0.9 gr Bullseye .....388 fps........ hollow sound but quiet enough
1.0 gr Bullseye .....441 fps........ sounds like a loud pellet gun, but no blam
1.1 gr Bullseye .....418 fps........ sounds like a loud pellet gun, but no blam
1.2 gr Bullseye .....536 fps........ sounds like a very loud pellet gun, but no blam
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.03363 seconds with 8 queries