View Single Post
Old January 13, 2006, 11:39 AM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

I am not an Expert on this subject by any means, but I will tell you what I was shown by a reputable gun-smith.
He took a Bore Scope(at about a gazillion power) and put it down the barrel of a Brand New Rifle, out of the box.
What I saw were the edges of the rifleings in the barrel magnified to the point that they looked more like a hack-saw blade the a rifling.
His opinion is that the "BREAK IN" of a barrel is really no more than shooting the rifle enough times to smooth those edges as smooth as they can get, resulting in better accuracy as they smooth up.
The cleaning between shots would only be a matter of removing any particles or debris that loosens up.
I tend to beleive that as I have noticed with new barrels they tend to tighten the groups tighter, the more you shoot them.
His thinking is the same as mine, I don't beleive in wasting time or ammunition when I shoot, so I use every shot to sight in, or hone my shooting skills at the range.
If the first 200 rounds is called BREAK-IN, then so be it.
What I call them is FUN.
The clean out is just something any resonsible gun owner does with his weapons anyway.

Page generated in 0.02226 seconds with 8 queries