View Single Post
Old March 7, 2012, 09:33 AM   #9
F. Guffey

“I have found some of these chambers..even on custom guns are .030" to .050" or more longer that max. trim length in loading books. I think the reamer mfg. do this as a built-in liability safety measure.”

Again, I make gages, more than a reloader needs to know, the neck of the 300 Win Mag is short at .274, need to know? because there is nothing they can do with the information, others can order a neck reamer, increase the length of the neck, then extend the throat for more powder without raising pressure, some swear they can keep up with the 300 Weatherby, and all the time keeping the maximum overall length of the loaded round short enough to feed from the magazine.

I have checked chambers for length including the throat, I checked one that was built for a bullet that did not exist, I used a 170 grain 7mm bullet to determine where the bullet contacted the rifling, the bullet came out of the case and traveled an additional .200+ before it contacted the rifling. I did not have to wonder what he/they were thinking, I was talking to one of them. He loaded close to 100 rounds we went to the range,
strange, there was a half way point, more powder, less powder, accuracy disappeared, heavier bullets, lighter bullets, accuracy disappeared. We know that was not the answer, while the bullet was between the case and rifling gas, hot, metal cutting gas was passing the bullet, so we knew the throat would not last long. I am the fan of the running start, I am the fan of knowing the length of the run.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03309 seconds with 8 queries