View Single Post
Old July 26, 2013, 11:53 AM   #31
DPris
Member Emeritus

I had them port a 3-inch Ruger GP in .357 Mag years ago & never regretted it.
Carried the gun after retirement till 911 when I switched to a 1911 (we live not far from what was then a potential military terrorist target).

I tested it with several different magnum loads at night in the dark & several produced only a very mild spark. It's not hard to find a good defensive load that uses flash-retardant powders in the major handgun calibers.

I also tested for particulate ejecta through the ports (which is a concern some people have if they plan to fire with the gun close to the body or otherwise right under their face), and found very little. I held a sheet of paper about a foot above the ports while firing, nothing scorched & nothing either imbedded or perforated.

If it's necessary to fire from a hip or speed rock position, just angle the hand slightly out board to direct port gasses away from the body. If an aggressor's close enough to prevent you from extending the gun forward of your body, tipping the top of the gun fractionally away from your carcass should still achieve a hit.

The possibility of shaving tiny jacket particles as the bullet passes the ports does exist, but it's not a huge concern for me & may be bullet-dependent regarding jacket material.
The MagnaPort process doesn't leave internal burrs or sharp edges to cause shaving like drilling can.

I found the porting on that revolver aids control & benefits rapid-fire shooting, if necessary.
Absolutely zero issue with muzzle flash. And I do mean zero.
Very minor concern about ejecta if fired close to the body.

I have another 3-inch GP that'll eventually be ported, and I'll probably send off a four-inch Smith Model 629 next year. Both are in line after other projects are done.
Considering porting a Ruger SP .357 I have, too.

I doubt I'd do it with an auto, but that's just me.
Denis

Page generated in 0.02231 seconds with 8 queries