View Single Post
Old July 3, 2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Slamfire

A featherweight rifle is not a target rifle nor should we expect it to be. My match M1a weighs over 12 pounds, my Match AR15, 17 pounds, my match bolt guns have to be more than twelve pounds. Walking the 1000 yards to the Pitts at Vaile, my shoulder burns carrying one of these . I would never go hunting with one, and I don’t need target accuracy when hunting. A feather weight will shoot inside an unsupported hold, unless you are one of the top ten shooters in the US. So, just what do you want to do with this rifle and how good of a shot are you?

If you are a bench shooter, accuracy using a 400 pound concrete bench as a rest is a hugely different from when you shoot unsupported.

Just this weekend I shot an Across the Course the course match squadded with a guy who had never shot in a match and he thought it was a F class match. His heavy barrel AR had a scope and bipod. Standing, his scope zero was 8 MOA down at 200 yards from his 200 yard bench rest zero. He was surprised, I was not. Bench rest zeros are way different from unsupported zeros. He finally got to shoot a bi pod at 300 yard prone rapid fire. His first ten shots at 300 prone exceeded the total score of 40 rounds shooting standing and sitting. He also shot a HM score with the bipod at 600 yards on the two MOA target. Bipods make accurate shooting easy, but the brambly brush in the woody woods of the South, you are not going to see anything but underbrush ten feet in front of you in the prone position.

Page generated in 0.02108 seconds with 8 queries