Thread: Best Tokarev
View Single Post
Old October 31, 2009, 12:41 AM   #2
raftman

The Romanian one is the most common, and the least expensive of them all. There's not a huge difference in terms of build quality between any of them. Some are closer to the original than others. The only differences are somewhat minor, such as the positioning of the external safeties (in most cases, these aren't original to the gun anyways). The Yugo one has 1 round larger capacity than the others, the gun thus has a bigger grip, which some like and some don't. Stuff like that. They'd all fall somewhere between $200 and maybe $330 in price if you know where to look.

They're all relatively available except the actual Russian ones. Those are quite uncommon and command a significantly higher price than the others. A post-war Russian one can easily go for more than $400, and I've seen WW2-era Russian Tokarevs sell for more than $800.

All of them them are reputedly very reliable and if in good condition, likely to work flawlessly for a very, very long time.

As far as ammo goes, the cheapest option is obviously the military surplus stuff, it's obscenely inexpensive for a centerfire caliber. Something like $8 if you want a box of 70 rounds, and you can easily find tins of over 1000 rounds for barely more than $100. It is corrosive however, so you have to be good about cleaning. The modern-made ammo, like Prvi Partizan is more on par with other center fire pistol calibers terms of cost, when I see it, it's around $20 for a box of 50.

Don't worry about the hot SMG ammo, that's basically a myth. The same rounds were used in the pistols as in the submachineguns. There is a hotter loading of 7.62 Tokarev out there, but it's basically nowhere to be found anymore anyways and even when it was being made, it was in small numbers.

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries