View Single Post
Old March 8, 2005, 05:33 PM   #1
BigSlick

primer pressure sign on unloaded case

Hi guys,

I was loading for the 45 ACP last night and screwed up a case after it was primed. I had removed the shell plate pin on the 550 to double check charge weight and forgot to put it back in before I continued.

Upon lowering the ram I hosed up the case mouth in station 2 (powder die and bell). I realized the mistake, set the case aside, replaced the pin and kept going.

I culled the case (of course) and decided to deprime it by dropping the hammer on it (safe direction, eye and ear protection in place). The round fit the chamber pretty tight due to the case mouth being munged up, but it did allow the slide to go into full battery.

I dropped the hammer, the primer popped and the round ejected (manually of course) OK. I usually crush any case that I toss out and was about to do so when I noticed the primer was deeply pierced and had backed out of the pocket about 1/32".

Was this a result of a loose primer pocket ? The fact that the cartridge wasn't loaded and the case wasn't driven back against the breech or what ?

I almost dismissed it, but thought I would ask if any of you have seen the same thing. I have loaded many thousands of rounds and have on rare occasions popped a primer like this but don't remember ever seeing one backout like that.

If the case had been loaded and fired, I would interpret this as an indicator of excessive pressure, but this was just a primer - no powder or bullet.

The gun was a 1911 gov't model

Any ideas ?

Thanks

BigSlick

Page generated in 0.02848 seconds with 8 queries