View Single Post
Old August 28, 2012, 03:09 PM   #22
tkglazie

Quote:
My first criteria for powder is that it must measure well with my powder measure.
This is also high on my list. I do not use any powders that do not meter well. I also prefer my powders to burn cleanly and I want to have at least one "commonly available" powder for each gun that I can get at a local LGS.

For me, that means 3 powders for the calibers I reload for.

For .380/9mm/.38/.357mag(mild)/.45ACP I use HP38(readily available, good accuracy) and VV N320(incredibly clean and highly accurate)

For .32 Special I use H4895(readily available, accurate and clean). I only use 1 bullet and only need one powder for this gun.

If I get into loading full .357 magnum loads I guess I will need a 4th powder but for now I am very very happy with the 2 I use. In my state and living arrangement I can by fire code only keep 2# of powder and 1K primers inside so it is an advantage to me to have so few powders. Less running to the shed...

Quote:
We know that you can shoot 148 grain swaged hollow-base wadcutters in .38 Special at 750 FPS and you can shoot a 180 grain JSP at 1,200 FPS through the same revolver but don't expect to be able to build those loads to the best of their abilities with the same powder.
well said

Page generated in 0.03972 seconds with 8 queries