View Single Post
Old September 17, 2009, 06:40 PM   #29
BigJimP

Yes,
I can tell you from personal experience - there were about 20 of us on a 4 day bird hunting trip in the Southeast a few years ago. It was an annual event - a lot of us were "repeat guests". It was a great 4 day - business trip/customer appreciation, etc. - customers and senior managers from the host.

A couple of the customers and one of the host's sales managers went out and got drunk / made a big scene at the lodge one night - damaged a door and some lodge furnishings. They were too hung over the next morning to make it out in the field / it embarassed the Exec VP and the President of the host company.

Those customers were never invited back / the regional sales manager and the VP of sales were both fired - when the exec VP got back to his office.
( a wise man once said, don't fart in the back seat of the Cadillac ...) if you expect to get ahead. It wasn't just "boys being boys" ...
---------------------
I saw the same thing when I was in the service / the staff or ships officers were expected to attend golf outings, trap shooting, etc - if invited - with the Admiral and other senior officers / it was how we got to know eachother a little when we were off duty. It was not a time to show up late or get out of control at the dinner or party afterward.....or not be properly attired, equipped, etc. I'm not saying I was never stupid / but knowing when and where to do it / or not do it - is real important.

Page generated in 0.03571 seconds with 8 queries