View Single Post
Old November 28, 2002, 10:14 PM   #2
CD1

My venison jerky recipe.

I use a venison sirloin tip roast to make this, any other cut will do though. It is easiest to get a consistent cut if you slice the meat while it is still frozen, or semi frozen. Cut the slices about a 1/4 inch thick. I use a dehydrator to do jerky, that seems to work better than the oven (American Harvester makes the dehydrator).

Let the sliced meat soak overnight in the brine. (I substitute Dales meat marinade for half of the soy and worcestshire, but its not available everywhere.)

Once you have soaked the meat overnight, dried the excess brine off, and seasoned the slices, you are just a few hours away from some wonderful jerky.

Brine:

2 cups Worcestshire sauce
2 cups Soy sauce
3 tsp black pepper
3 tsp onion powder (NOT onion SALT)
3 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic SALT)
3 Tbs salt
2 tsp crushed red pepper

Before you put the meat in the dryer, pat it dry with paper towels; then sprinkle the seasonings on the meat slices to taste. The more you apply, the hotter it will be.

Seasoning mix:

2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp Habanero pepper
2 tsp Red Pepper flakes

The Chipotle chile powder should be available in most grocery stores. Do make an effort to find it, as it adds a nice mellow, smokey heat to the dish.

I usually use this recipe for a venison sirloin tip roast, so it will be enough for any similar amount of meat. I'm going to guess that it is about 3-5 pounds. Make sure that you have enough brine to cover all the meat, it needed double the recipe. Additionally, you don't need to use the entire batch of seasoning, just apply to taste.

Page generated in 0.02502 seconds with 8 queries