View Single Post
Old February 27, 2013, 01:15 PM   #78
Evan Thomas

Well put, DNS.

And it doesn't hurt to remind ourselves that the primary purpose of carrying a gun is for self-defense. Before anyone decides that his default mode is to be prepared to intervene with a gun (or other weapon) on behalf of strangers, there are a lot of things he needs to consider very carefully. Here are a few.
  • Do I have the training to do this effectively? This isn't just a matter of range time or participating in shooting sports. See this thread on a defense-of-property shooting by an IPSC Grandmaster for a cautionary tale on this topic. As I wrote in that thread, "...there are lessons to be learned from this about the difference between training to shoot -- which Mr. Thalheimer clearly has done rather extensively -- and what actually happens in a gunfight."
  • Do I have a thorough understanding of the relevant laws in my state? You'd better, if you're going to carry at all, and it's frightening how many CCW holders have no more knowledge than whatever was offered in a basic CCW permit class -- if that.
  • How will I know that I'm evaluating the situation correctly? If you make a mistake, and the big guy beating on the young woman turns out to be an undercover detective subduing a drug dealer, you'll be in a world of hurt.
  • Am I prepared for the consequences if I make a mistake? The above is just one example; if a police officer accidentally shoots a bystander, he's indemnified; you are not. You may go to jail, and short of that, you may lose your house, your livelihood, etc. Also consider the emotional consequences: how will you feel if you shoot an innocent person by mistake? Finally, are you prepared to lose your own life, perhaps because a "bad guy" (lousy term) shoots back at you, or because police arriving at the scene see a guy with a gun, shoot him, and... that was you.
For a some discussion of these issues, see this thread. There are some chest-thumping posts -- those are also, umm... instructive.

Bottom line: There is a lot that can go wrong in these scenarios, and Soccer Parents have some justification for their discomfort with the idea of "citizen interveners." It's probably not the most persuasive argument we can use.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; February 27, 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.02957 seconds with 8 queries