View Single Post
Old May 1, 2010, 10:37 PM   #59
tackdriver

Unfortunately, the nearest all-weather range is more than an hour away and I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. I like to start out at three yards from low ready with the failure-to-stop drill to see how rusty I am and to build my confidence. From there, almost everything is at 7 yards. I do a little at 15 and 25 to see what I can wring out of my pistol.

Quote:
I believe what you are referring to is the "21 foot rule." The 21 foot rule states that at a distance of 21 feet, an agressor with a knife, other handheld weapon, or fists can close that distance in 1.5 seconds, and it takes the defender 2.0 seconds to fire a well placed shot from the holster. The 2.0 seconds for a well placed shot is defined in the situation as trained police officer pulling the gun from the holster and placing a shot at center mass.
If I can see someone coming from 7 yards with a knife or other weapon in his hands, that's a feets-don't-fail-me-now situation (so long as I'm alone). The rule is only true if you stand still. A good trainer will teach you to create or maintain that distance (in other words, draw on the move), look for obstacles to put between you and/or to change the angle of attack.

Page generated in 0.03082 seconds with 8 queries