View Single Post
Old July 5, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1
lux_aeternae

Best CQB Sidearm, 1911? Your thoughts.

Hello fellow gun enthusiasts. I was wondering if I could ask your educated opinion on the effectiveness of the 1911 as a CQB pistol. I love everything about the gun, but when push comes to shove, is the 1911's 7+1 really enough in a CQB situation?
I have read that in recent years operators have been making the transition back to the tried and true 1911, from the LAPD Swat to the Marine Recon Expeditionary Unit to our Army's Delta Force. It seems that our elite, despite choices of other expensive fine sidearms, they chose to go with a user customized 1911. I initially found this surprising, due to the venerable reputation of the H&K and SIG firearms.
I have heard handling and speed are everything in CQB, and that more rounds (although nice) does not mean much when you may never have the chance to use them - but is the 1911's other positive attributes enough to compensate for it's smaller magazine capacity and to allow it to compete with high end double stack firearms? I have been reconsidering this recently and would like to hear your thoughts on this. Concealed carry and money are not an issue for this discussion. Thanks again for your help. Hope this is a lively and useful discussion.

Page generated in 0.02839 seconds with 8 queries