View Single Post
Old December 3, 2005, 07:17 AM   #15
Low Key

jrock, the see through rings are neat to be able to use scope or iron sights, (I used to have a set myself), but they will give you problems if you shoot at variable unknown distances like say 75 yards for one shot and 115 for the next in a hunting situation and this may be the source of your sighting problem now.
When a bullet leaves the barrel of a rifle it travels in a arc to the target. The bullet will cross the line of sight of your sighting system (whether iron sights or scope) a few feet in front of the muzzle, it's arc carries it to a high point (at about 60% of the sight in distance) and then the bullet drops back down along it's arc. If your sights are set right, the next time it crosses line of sight is at impact on the target. The closer your sights are to the same level as the muzzle of your rifle, the easier it is to adjust them to the point of impact of the bullet and the easier to predict the drop of the bullet at longer ranges.
When you move the sights higher off the barrel, it gets harder to adjust them for more than one known distance. If you're only going to be shooting a one known distance you can get them adjusted fine, but otherwise they are hard to predict.
I fought with a set of the see through rings on a .22 rifle for a year before a more experienced shooter suggested that I try rings that sit down as close to the barrell as possible. I was nearly ready to sell the scope for being inaccurate and unpredictable, but I changed the rings out and that solved my sighting problems.
If cleaning between shots doesn't improve the situation, you might try a shorter set of rings.

Page generated in 0.02102 seconds with 8 queries