View Single Post
Old August 14, 2011, 08:21 AM   #9
LDBennett

Time for some reloading basics:

Brass is tumbled NOT to make it look good but to remove burned powder residue on the outside of the case. That residue can damage the machined and polished surfaces of the sizing die which will then transfer that to all subsequent cases that are sized in the damaged die. So.....

1). Tumble the brass first before sizing or removing the primers. This last precaution is to avoid getting media stuck in the primer hole between the case body and the primer pocket. If any does get in there then the depriming pin of the sizing die removes it.

2). There is no need to use any polishing compound or liquids in the tumbler media. I have seen the liquid variety clump up with the media and stick inside the case and cause a bullet to only travel part of the way down the barrel. Fortunately I realized the problem before a follow up shot. The case body only needs to be clean not polished. Walnut shells do the best job of cleaning and corn cob does the best job of polishing. I think walnut shells do the job the cases need, i.e., get clean not polished.

3). The case lube I use, RCBS liquid on the RCBS pad, is water soluble and wipes off the finished round with a damp cloth. I then roll groups of ten on a towel to remove the water. This gives me a chance to inspect every round for a correctly seated primer, case splits, or other damage cause by the reloading process.

4). Tumbling loaded rounds is not only risky but may breakdown the powder kernels into dust and smaller ones and/or remove the deterrent coating on the kernels that controls the burning rate of the powder. There is also the possibility of a round going off inside the tumble as the primer of the cartridge is hit by anther round. This, I believe, is a reloading NO-NO. I know many of you out there do it but there is risk!

To review: Tumble, lube case, size/deprime, load, wipe off the case lube with a damp cloth, dry on a towel. Do not tumble loaded ammo.

This is of course my educated opinion based on experience and you may choose to do it any way you want but be aware there MAY BE consequences.

LDBennett

Last edited by LDBennett; August 14, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.02435 seconds with 8 queries