View Single Post
Old July 14, 2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Nnobby45

I have DA revolvers that have light SA trigger pulls (2lb.), when the DA pull is still within S&W specs.

S&W spec for DA pull is about 3lb. tension on the hammer with trigger pulled. Use the gage to just move the hammer back slightly, and measure that. 2.8 lb will probably provide enough force for reliable ignition, but less than spec.

DA trigger pull might be from 8 to 10 lb. or so, and is affected by the the power of both the main and rebound springs. The hammer force is not affected by the rebound spring.

The SINGLE action pull, unlike the DA pull, is probably more closely related to hammer sear engagement set at the factory--a delicate operation for the gunsmith. Don't think MIM technology eliminates the need for a smithie at the factory to make the proper fit.

Not saying the power of the mainspring has no effect, but I am saying that you can't fix it with heavier springs, since light SA pulls are found on revolvers with heavy main and rebound springs that produce heavy DA pulls--- right out of the factory.

I just live with mine, since they're combat guns used DA, anyway.

SA pulls seems to vary anywhere from 2 lb. (maybe less) to about 5 lb. A serious consideration for those untrained enough to be cocking revolvers under combat conditons.

To paraphrase: Forget the rebound spr.. I'ts affect would be even less than the small to moderate affect of the mainspring. You can't fix that, and there are few smiths I'd trust to do it, and you're probably talking new parts.

A great gunsmith, who I do trust to work on my revolvers, explained the delicate nature of mating the SA notch of the hammer with the sear. He also thinks highly of the gunsmiths who for for S&W.

Last edited by Nnobby45; July 14, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.02895 seconds with 8 queries