View Single Post
Old May 31, 2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

AS Paul B said, check that throat length.

Mine was so short that it wouldn't chamber some factory 45/70 ammo. Rem or Win, I forget.

As per bullet weight, I tried a 355gr and a velocity of 2300fps and the Wide Flat Nose (WFN) bullet just made toooooo big of a hole for me. Not minced meat like with a expanding bullet, just simply meat and bone gone out the other side.

The 355gr did have some chambering issues because of the bullet nose profile and I had the throat opened a tiny bit. Zero problems with my cuttent 465gr bullet profile

I am using a WFN 465gr at 1650fps with great results on deer and elk.

Have shot a few 550gr +/- just for fun but will not go there for serious hunting, but just for a bit of a thrill when out with "friends". No chambering problems with this bullet profile.

My rifle is the RUGER #1s with the 22" barrel and I find it to be a joy to carry in the woods. For bench testing/load development I use a sissy bag over the shoulder and have no problems during extended shooting sessions. Zero problems in hunting positions and hunting situations.

I did however, try the rifle with factory iron sights and did find the rifle to be VERY!!!!!!!!!!! painful to shoot because of the low head position needed and the beating my face took from mid range loads. The plan from the start was to scope the rifle, and with the higher head position that problem is gone.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Page generated in 0.02731 seconds with 8 queries