View Single Post
Old May 6, 2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

What to do??

+1 on Mal H and Number Six's answer to yr problem. However you also asked another question:
Quote:
Or is there some kind of chemical neutralizer I can use to disable the primers to make them safe for trash or, preferably, recycling .(I already have a coffee can full of brass for recycling and I recycle other metals as well).
We have been around and around and around on this one; it seems that every so often somebody finds themself in posession of primed brass they want the primers out of, and then what to do with the primers.

It is irresponsible to discard unfired primers. What if kids found 'em and played with 'em, or a little old lady stepped on one, never mind the remoteness of the possibility.

Soaking the primers in water and in various oils and other household chemicals has been tried. The conclusion always comes up that there is no household (read: reasonably safe) chemical that will kill primers 100% reliably.

There are two things that will kill 100% of unwanted primers: Percussion, and Heat. You can run 'em through a gun and drop the firing pin on each one. You can deprime 'em (slow & careful) and hit 'em with a hammer. Or you can put 'em into a fire (using proper care and body protection). All 3 of these are noisy but effective.The first dirties up the gun in question something awful. Have never tried the fire method. The middle of these is my preferred way. The mashed, fired, primers will recycle along with all yr other "regular" fired & deprimed primers.

Rifle & pistol primers are all brass, so they'll recycle along with the cases.

--Smokey Joe

Page generated in 0.02387 seconds with 8 queries