View Single Post
Old August 8, 2002, 06:02 PM   #17
GSB

A dicey situation handled reasonably well, although I believe that letting the guy get that close would be considered a tactical error by most if not all firearms tactics instructors.

I wouldn't be as keen to shoot as some on this thread because given the dynamics of the situation you described, life could get very difficult for you if you shoot someone who is unarmed and a minority (sorry, but that's just reality). Although disparity of force clearly existed in this case, that wouldn't matter when various "community leaders" daily paint you as a racist killer in the evening news.

Personally, if I felt genuinely threatened, I'd have retreated to my apartment. If the car was in view of the windows or balcony, I would have videotaped or photographed any further vandalism to the car, if I had a camera. You'd be covered by your insurance, which is cheaper than going broke fighting legal and civil battles for the next 10 years.

The reason I would retreat to the apartment is strictly legal: if they pursued me into the apartment, I am on virtually unassailable legal ground, and would not hesitate to employ lethal force. You will also be less likely to be painted as a vigilante white supremecist by the media.

Page generated in 0.02419 seconds with 8 queries