View Single Post
Old December 1, 2009, 05:51 PM   #6
fineredmist

In my experience mounting scopes I have found that the alignment of the bases is critical. If the bases are in alignment the mounts will be very close and may not need to be lapped. Rugar rings are the most troublesome and require a lot of work if they are out. The rings are stainless and difficult to cut. Most of the problem is the contact of the rings to the tube as they are not usually flat.
I make it a point to check every installation and if there is misalignmet I will lape the rings. The moumt to tube contact is important as high spots will tend to deform the tube and that can effect the reliability of the scope.
I have used the Burris mounts and found them to be esay to install and more or less self aligning. The contact with the tube is felixable and with almost 100% coverage. The Talley mounts can be a difficult install but if they are out they need to be lapped.
The Wheeler kit is as good as any but I would recommed getting some 90 grit compound if you are going to work on steel rings. The compound they supply is good but the cutting can be slow if you are working steel rings. I feel that if you are going to spend good money for a rifle and scope you might just as well spend a little more for the tool and do the job properly.

Page generated in 0.02552 seconds with 8 queries