View Single Post
Old December 31, 2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Ammo Junky

I use win primers exclusevly. In part because being brand loyal to win brass, win primers, sierra bullets and hodgdon powders helps simplify choices when working up a new load. Win primers are harder than fed. I have only found that to make a difference with guns that had problems to begin with. An old 66-1 that needed a main spring and a G20 than needed new guts period. The fed would be my second choice. They could have been a close second, but their sensitivity nessitates very bulky packing and I dont like it. Win primers are said to be hotter than fed, but I have not seen that over the chrono for LP and LPM primers. I have never used any rifle primer except win. A cooler rifle primer may give better sd in some small cases, but I have had great consistancy in large rifle cases with win. CCI are the only primers that I ever heard really bad things about. Size out of spec higher sd etc. Its a shame, I would love to but the primers already in the aps strips, but Ill take the win quality over the convenience. If they would sell fed primers in the aps strips like rcbs promised coustomers who bought the aps systems they would. I would happily go with fed primers at least for handgun loading. For handgun loading I doubt any change in velocity or sd would be seen on target unless you have your target a looong way off. Anyone shooting handguns that far (100yd+) will likely already have an opinion on their perferd primer and wont be swayed by a thread. If you rifle shoting extends much beyond 300yd or for competion where an 1/8 min or 50 fps means someting, experimentation may pay some dividiens. I would love to hear from any loaders out there that saw an accuracy change with a primer change? That would be interesting indeed.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.

Page generated in 0.02098 seconds with 8 queries