View Single Post
Old May 14, 2000, 11:10 PM   #1
Grayfox

Here's the story, a friend of mine recently bought a used Ruger 77/22. The rifle itself is in excellent condition, however its got a Simmons 3X9 scope on it that has obviously seen better days. The problem is that once you turn the power up past 5X it gets somewhat blurry. Adjusting the eye piece doesn't help. I've been told that its because its a centerfire scope and at higher powers is focused for longer distances. I've also been told that what he needs is a rimfire specific scope. And these same folks have told me that a scope with an adjustable objective lens will cure the problem.
Scopes really aren't my thing. So here I am to ask those who know. Is all this stuff I've been told true?
Now advice on what to get. My friend wants a variable scope preferably 2X7, but a 3X9 would be fine. He also doesn't want to spend a whole lot of money. Looking at the Midway catalog we found rimfire scopes by BSA & Simmons for about $65. Bushnell lists a 3X9 Air Gun scope with an adjustable objective for about the same price. Wouldn't an air gun scope work fine on a .22RF? There is also a Weaver 2.5X7 for $120. Would it be worth the extra money?
Ok, tell me what we need and what would be the best buy?

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!

Page generated in 0.03641 seconds with 8 queries