View Single Post
Old November 16, 2010, 03:52 AM   #33
bds32

I think the point about shooting faster than your ability to process what is happening is a valid point. It takes no time at all to shoot 5 or more rounds. You might be able to fire faster than the time it takes the suspect to react to being hit, if being hit in the torso. In other words, the suspect might be hit good and out of the fight but still standing straight up while the rapid fire on your part continues. I think firing until the suspect is no longer perceived as a threat will be the default action for most of us. In other words, we won't have any say in the matter. Our automatic responses will kick in and we will fire until the threat goes down or until we run out of ammo and have to take whatever steps needed to fix this problem. For some who have trained routinely to fire a certain amount of rounds and assess, this might occurr also but maybe at their own peril. I come out on the side of firing until you no longer perceive the threat and that is why I think you change up the number of rounds you fire at a target during training, whether its two rounds or eight rounds, or whatever. You never know what that number will be for real so why not switch it up all the time. Yes, available ammo is a concern but that is a known problem and there are ways to deal with it before hand, most obvious is to have a reload (a New York reload if you prefer) and be trained up on getting the gun recharged quickly.

Page generated in 0.02247 seconds with 8 queries