View Single Post
Old November 16, 1999, 12:58 AM   #3
Long Path

Plenty of season left yet for me, but after watching some yearlings and a spike run around at very close-but-just-out-of-pistol-range, I hit a little whitetail doe at 67 yards with a reduced load .257 Rbts 100 grain Ballistic Tip just behind the shoulder. Through and through, both lungs and the very top of the heart, exit hole the size of a nickel. She managed to run into thick brush nearby before expiring about 30 feet away. I was looking for the bullet before I bothered going into the brush to find her; you just don't have to worry when you hit them right, and the blood trail looks like a man with a watering can full of blood was walking away with the spout straight down.

Got up on a high hill the next day and saw no deer, but watched a couple of Tom turkeys making fools of themselves over a big hen 600 yards away. Watched them work their way to within 150 yards of our property, and then break off. Our property line was 350 yards away, and we'd be eating turkey now if they'd just crossed that line below us; I had a good rest and a great sling... Let that be a lesson; remember your call!! (Mine was in the truck, darn it!)

Headed back early; had a test this morning. Plenty of time, plenty of time.

Texas can be a fine place, too, Dr. Rob! Just wish I could find me a hunt here for pronghorn, and that we still had elk hunting...

Page generated in 0.02184 seconds with 8 queries