View Single Post
Old February 3, 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Garyson1311

Ball/patch tightness

Okay guys so while im in the processing of trying to get my hawken going, a buddy of mine invited me to go to the range to try shooting his hawken. (It's some spanish made 50 cal hawken that was has dads) Before we start, I want it known that he went to basspro and they had next to nothing in terms of muzzleloading stuff but he got some TC pre lubricated patches to go along with his old patches that are unlubed. My buddy was never taught that the patches needed to be lubed and his rifle has been fired who knows how many times with unlubed patches. The old, unlubed, linen patches that he has seem very thin (unsure of thickness) and the new ones we got from basspro a that are prelubed seem ALOT thicker (I remember them saying they are pillow tickling but I dont remember the exact thickness). He fired a few shots with his unlubed, thin patches but ater telling him that the patches need to be lubed, and considering that he has no oil because he never was told to lube them, he decided to give the new, thicker patches a try. So he attempted to load them and they were MUCH tighter than what he was used to as his other unlubed patches go in easily (not much force required but they dont just fall in). That being said, he decided against shooting them because he thought it was too tight and kept shooting his unlubed patches. My questions.. Is it okay for it to be a really tight fit? How tight is too tight? Would shooting a smaller ball be advised? Thanks guys

Page generated in 0.03700 seconds with 8 queries