View Single Post
Old October 1, 2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

A-Square Manual

Sir;
As I understand the A-Square company at this time Colonel Alphin (impecable credentials too) is merely in a top level consulting job. A-Square at one time was sold, had some trouble and then Colonel Alphin bought it back. There was a space of time and I think the company was sold to someone else, with Art in a top level consulting and design job.
At our last talk Art was going to design a new action and told me, "the company is now in the black." Their ammo, though very exspensive, has a "triad" of bullets, the "lion load" - very frangible, a "dead-tough" good for buff and elephant and the "monoliphic solid" speaks for itself. Art is a good supplier of brass and is a SAAMI member and has standardized several cartridges (338-06 and many heretofor wildcats) - Weatherby now loads a rifle in 338-06 along with ammo for it.
It's my personal opinion, after reading their manual that jealousy amoung the industry giants hurt A-Square.
Their rifles are made from P-17 Enfields, practically re-manufactured and are the only successful conversion of that action to the 495 A-Square, the 500 A-Square and the 577 tyranosaur.
Their manual covers every aspect of hunting, shooting, all of the ballistic issues and loading tables - it is right on the line as far as I'm concerned about loading, sizing, head-spacing, bullet seating, etc!
Reamers ? I do not know if anyone is making reamers with the paralel throat but I look for them soon.
I've been so influenced by Art that I've built three 9.3X62s, two 9.3X64s, (equivalent to the 375 H&H) and several 416 Taylors (equivalent to the Rigby)! It has that "magic" big bore velocity of 2400 fps with the 400 grain bullet and fits nicely in the 98 Mauser action. (458Win Mag necked down to 416)
Are these rifle calibers unreasonable for U.S. hunting? Certainly not! These bullets don't ruin meat like a 308, 270, or (perish the thought) a belted magnum, but simply completely penetrate with the "dead tough" bullet and ruin very little meat! I love them!
Wildalaska tells me it's also good up there on about anything (the 9.3X62).
He tells me its popularity in increasing and I look for the more knowledgeable sportsmen to latch on to one.
Good shooting.
Harry B.

Page generated in 0.02380 seconds with 8 queries