View Single Post
Old April 15, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Chrome & Silver Plating - suggestions, experiences, advice ???

In one of the other threads, a couple of fellows mentioned that they have "plated" triggerguards, etc. One said he got a solution off of eBay that worked well, another used I believe "electroplating". It got me to thinking . . . I'd like to silverplate the brass grip frame and triggerguard of my '61 Colt Navy. But, I don't know a whole lot about the available processes as to what works best, etc. We used to have some plating companies in a city near us but I think they have pretty much closed up. Yeas ago I had some ice box hinges "rechromed" but I remember that it turned out to be quite a heavy coat (mill thickness wise). Maybe some of you who have done this could give us your experiences as to what you did, what products you used, how it worked and if the completed plating was satisfactory and does it hold up. I imagine that I am probably thinking of "nickle" plating (as opposed to "chrome") and "silver" plating.

I also have a question about brass frames. If you sent a brass frame out to be chrome (or silver) plated (or "electro-plated" it yourself), what about the screwholes/threads. Do you have to "plug" these in some manner or do you have to rethread/freshen them out after the plating process? Any other things to look out for if you have a frame plated? What sort of equipment would be needed to "electro plate" frames, triggerguards, etc. - what I consider "smaller" parts, at home?

Many thanks to those willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Sincderely, Bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.02373 seconds with 8 queries