View Single Post
Old April 30, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1
jhendon

Questions re. 10mm

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Glock29 10mm because I want to pack concealed while hiking and fishing - frequently alone. I want a round to deal with black bear, cougar and feral dogs and, of course, two-legged predators upon whose pot patch or meth lab I may accidentally stumble.

Balancing the trade-offs between weight, size, ballistics, and magazine capacity, initial examination leads me to think the Glock20 10mm would be an excellent choice. Any feedback - pro or con - is welcome.

Already, however, I have been told that 10mm ammo is hard to come by. This isn't a big deal because I plan to load my own in order to have "city loads" and "country loads". But I haven't reloaded before and am studying up on that subject also.

I notice that Lee packages the .40 S&W and the 10mm dies together. Doing the math I see the .40 bore is .0063" larger than the 10mm. Does that mean a gun that can chamber the .40 S&W can handle the 10mm round as well?

I've also read the Glock20 is the only autoloader that can chamber what would be considered a magnum load in a revolver - one reason I thought it would be a good choice for bear or cougar.

But if the bore size of the 10mm is almost identical to the .40 S&W, I would like to better understand the difference between these two.
One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence. Charles A. Beard

Last edited by jhendon; April 30, 2005 at 01:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.02842 seconds with 8 queries