View Single Post
Old January 20, 2000, 02:57 PM   #3
muleshoe

Hueco: I grew up hunting coyotes in SW Kansas and did a lot of calling. It's a real rush when you can get a dog within 30 yds.I would suggest buying a hand held call and doing it yourself. That way you can call when you need to and not have to worry about flipping on and off a machine. You may want to buy a tape just to hear what they sound like, then do it yourself. I liked to tie the call around my neck so not to lose it. MO is probably considered an eastern state as I believe what they are wanting to know is if you have jackrabbits in the area, I doubt you do. When calling wind direction is crucial, if they smell you they leave in a hurry. Same goes for if they see you, never blow your call while you can see them. They will pinpoint your position and either leave if they can see you or just sit out there staring. They are not dumb animals which you will find out, and you may gain respect for them. I did. I've shot coyotes with a lot of different guns, I won't go through them all, but would suggest something larger than a .22 mag. I had a .17 rem that was just awesome on coyotes, rarely exited, which is nice if your selling hides. Stitching up holes the size of a grapefruit ain't much fun. Factory load .243's and even .22-250's will do that. A .223 or .222 are both great rounds for them dogs. While in high school and for a couple years after, a buddy and I would kill 150 to 200 coyotes per season by calling and trapping. This was in the mid to late 70's and coyotes were worth a lot then, $75 to $100. Nothing like that now, too bad. We new a kid in school who's dad worked at the landfill, he would let us dump the carcasses there. Not sure if we were supposed to or not, we were not EPA wise. Calling Coyotes can be a lot of fun and always a learning experience.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Page generated in 0.02855 seconds with 8 queries