View Single Post
Old July 9, 2010, 12:58 PM   #52
pythagorean

I was in the 70s a patrolman for the Reno Police Department. I was half way through a 4 year degree in college at University of Nevada Reno. Our training then was the weapon was never drawn unless we had to shoot. We never brandished our guns to a problem unless the situation meant to draw and shoot without any warning shots or display of lethal force. When the weapon is drawn for the last response the intent and training was to fire "center of mass" with our .357s loaded with issued Remington 125 SJHPs until the threat was subdued.

I cannot recall a case where a second shot had to be fired. All threats were stopped by the one .357 bullet in every case since the early 70s when Reno adopted the round for standard issue. Some still carried their old .38s but I am not talking about that and can't recall a .38 having to be shot.

I do remember a sergeant who shot a warning shot in a house development area above King's Row but I can't remember the details except his "warning shot" was brought under review by the Shooting Board.

When I became a police officer in Reno our training then in the 70s was to shoot or not to shoot using DA only and range time with .38 semi wadcutters in the basement range. I had two guns then, one the SW 19 in a 4" and an SW 28 in 6". I later just used the 28 because my 19 had timing issues just after firing .38s for our range time. We would shoot every month to qualify and it was around 50 or 60 rounds each time.

The main thing is the gun was never drawn unless it had to be fired at the targeted human being. We had to be evaluated on the Oral Board, the physical, the psychological, the written exam, and the polygraph before even being considered for the academy. By that time hesitation concerning killing a human being was definitely ruled out. No officer ever sacrifices his life for anyone. When he draws his gun he is in a survival situation and whoever is preventing or threatening survival is going to be shot.

We have films and movies showing the "sensitive" cop or something that won't shoot unless he has to. This is Hollywood or Italian Spaghetti stuff. It is not real in the LEO department.

The Shooting Board reviews every discharge of a weapon. The process is reviewed and judged. It can look bad or look right for the officer but no officer is above the Board when it happens and it means painstaking inquiry into the discharge of the weapon.

This was all back in the 70s and 80s for me. I remember it crystal clear.

If the weapon is taken into the hand it is not to be used as a threat. It is to be used to kill and nothing else. Once it is brandished it must be fired. All the options have gone out the window.

Now you see why I like the Colt SAA in the hip holster to this day. If you have to draw a gun (and, of course, you must shoot it at center of mass) you must follow through and fire it. Period. No warning. End of conflict.

Page generated in 0.03095 seconds with 8 queries