View Single Post
Old July 8, 1999, 03:44 PM   #10
TaxPhd

The terrain where you shoot has a big impact on this decision. Where I live in Georgia, there is almost nowhere that I can see past 100 yards, even in the winter with the leaves off the trees. Given this constraint, my AR wears an Aimpoint Comp ML XD on an Aimpoint Railgrabber mount. With a 3 min. dot, it won't block out a target, even at 300 yards. Up close (<100 yards), it is the fastest rifle sighting system I've ever used (non-tube sights, such as the C-more or Holosight are usually considered faster, but I was not as convinced of their reliability as with the Aimpoint. My IPSC race gun wears a C-more, but that pistol will not likely face the same abuse as my AR).

If your primary use for the rifle is 300-400, with little shooting taking place at less than that distance, by all means, put a regular scope on it. If you want to have the full range of use (0-400 yards), put a low power variable (like a 1.5 - 5) on the gun.

I don't think that a single sighting system exists that will be optimum for the engaging targets at anywhere from contact distance to 400 or 500 yards. With that said, I think that I have come close to the perfect system (for me).

As I said earlier, the Aimpoint Comp is the primary sight for my rifle. In addition, I have a 4-12 variable scope on an ARMS quick detach base. These two scopes detach and reattach with no loss of zero (yes, I have tested it extensively, and yes, it does work). The big scope is always in my kit, and always available. The scopes swap in less than one minute. While not perfect, this system allows me to effectively utilize the full range of my rifle.

If I was planning on doing a lot of shooting at greater than 300 yards, and on target bullet performance was a consideration (not just accuracy), an AR in .223 would not be my choice. Those problems are probably better handled by something in 30 caliber or larger.

Page generated in 0.03280 seconds with 8 queries