Thread: In need of tips
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
fragtagninja

In need of tips

Hello everyone I am sort of a new shooter looking to improve my aim. I do not have the money to seek pro help at this time, but don't want to stop progressing. So here is where I am at. As a kid a spent a lot of time shooting my dad's compound bow, my pellet guns, and my dad's long guns. I shot his .243 rifle and 12ga shot guns, and he once let me shoot his 9mm pistol. It has been years and my handgun time was limited to the one 9mm experience. I recently purchased a .40 S&W Sig and love it. That said I'm more accurate with my friends .45ACP than I am with my own gun. I am using a modern shooting stance with my feet shoulder width apart, knees bent, weight forward, elbows out, and wrists fairly tight with the thumbs forward grip. I'm not terrible and doing pretty well with it, but I'm having trouble learning how to increase my target acquisition speed, and recoil control. Part of the reason I purchased the .40 is because of its snappy recoil reputation. I figure if I start with something higher then I will be able to shoot almost anything later. Indeed the .45acp is much easier to manage. I also intend to purchase an alt .357 sig barrel since they are interchangeable on the 229. Any advice besides dry fire? I have been practicing this as well when I get the chance and it is helping, but the big thing right now I'm looking for is faster sighting after firing and reducing the muzzle flip. I am also working on riding the trigger. Practicing dry fire with an empty casing on my front site combined has done wonders for my trigger control especially combined with the long DA trigger mode on my sig. Still I feel like there is something I am missing. Do I just need to be patient? or are there some other things I can do to improve?

Thanks in advance guys. You are always very helpful.

Page generated in 0.03091 seconds with 8 queries