View Single Post
Old March 17, 2005, 09:24 PM   #30
joplin

Yes, I have. It happened fairly recently. Everything was automatic, and the only thing that I regret is that I was a little slow on making the decision to pull the trigger. BG had the drop on me. I was moving to my left and he was backing up into a doorway, it was at night and I was about 10-12 yards away with lights (Red and Blue)reflecting off side of house. I was very calm, and everything happened within 2-3 seconds, but it seemed like it was slow motion.
I didn't have time to do anything but react. Do remember making the decision to shoot and saw my bullet hit after discharge. Remember distinctly the long double action trigger pull. Strange things go through ones mind when faced with a life or death situation.
I use a 40 cal. on duty, and off. Their was a 40 cal. and a 9mm used and the 40 did perform better as far as bullet mushroom and penetration. Federal 165 grain jacketed hollow point and speer gold dot. 9mm was black talon. Good for armor but not much else. My opinion only.
I cannot express how important training is. You have got to practice drawing your weapon and placing the round on target. Start slow and then pick up the pace until you can safely draw and engage the target effectivly in a smooth controlled manner while being quick at the same time. I know people that never practice drawing their weapon. When the adrenaline is pumping, reaction and muscle memory take over. I think that was a big factor in my situation coming out in a positive way for me.
Remember, the BG will almost always have the upper hand. You will have to assess the threat and then make a determination as to whether deadly force is justified and then make your move. You will be behind the eight ball in most situatuations right from the start. That's why it is so important to be aware of your suroundings and what is going on around you.

Page generated in 0.03264 seconds with 8 queries