View Single Post
Old November 25, 2000, 12:19 PM   #18
Long Path

Cracking up at Robert!

Okay, here's MY take on shiny brass:

Reloading, as a rule, would be about 1/7th as big a pain if it weren't for case preparation. Most of the act of case prep is labor intensive. For rifles, that's sizing the brass, cleaning the brass, turning the brass, trimming the brass, chamfering the brass, priming the brass, and lubing (and later) un-lubing the brass. Of all of those tasks, tumbling just requires you to dump them into a tumbler, turn it on, go to work, come home, and dump the cases out(still don't have a squirrel cage sifter yet.). This is EASY, and requires less effort and precision, in my opinion, than any other aspect of reloading.

My wife, a sculptor, noted that tumbling likely work-hardens the cases a bit, too, which means stronger cases, without extra brittleness.

When you've put THAT much work into perfect cases, you want 'em to look special. That's natural.

Personally, I think that the cost of a tumbler and cornmeal and polish (I've only used Dillon's to spectacular results. Because it works so well with no ill effects, I'm actually very very limited in my range of experience with other techniques other than 0000 steel wool.) is worth the cost, given what you get:
  • Brass that functions smoothly.
  • No detritus to allow shtuff to cling to the brass to carry up into the dies to cause deformations.
  • Loads that look utterly professional.
  • Pride in ownership when looked over by others....

Now, there are those of you who are saying "Ah, heck! S'long as Ol' Betsy puts 'em all in the same ragged hole, I don't care much what the finished round looks like..."

Respectfully submitted, Bull! ( ! )
We've all been there, at the public range, or with a buddy, pulling out our own secret medicine, when he sees your reload boxes with the hand-written labels, and says,"you made those?" Now, as you think to that time, did your heart swell up with pride as you looked up to see his face, or did you check his eyes for concern... or even disdain? I submit that if your brass was shiny, your confidence in your little concoction rose a couple of notches as you smiled and proudly proclaimed those loads to be your own. (always under development, of course...)

I drive an 11 year-old dented pickup that needs a wash and a clean-out. I'm NOT fastidious about most things. But my loads, ESPECIALLY my rifle loads, need to look good. ANY aspect that inspires confidence inspires accuracy.

And that goes double for any loads I might gift someone.

Regards,

L.P.

Page generated in 0.03566 seconds with 8 queries