View Single Post
Old March 20, 2009, 09:12 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
As soon as we could afford it, we moved. We could not afford to move before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskdgunman
It's easy to say "pick up and move" but in reality, it's not practical for many (if not most) people.
I agree that "affording" to move is quite often a major factor. I have to wonder though, how many people REALLY can not afford to move, or are a little but scared to be uprooted, and use money as an excuse.

mskdgunman, if I could use your line of work as an example. Our local PDs are hiring all the time. Pretty well non-stop. Now, I don't know (or want to) what kind of money you make but I do know that police work in this area pays a fairly good livable wage. Cost of living is fairly low, reasonable anyway, except for taxes. So, it seems to me that someone like you could pretty easily get a new job around here, pack up your things and get out of dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
How about the Waffle House waitress with two kids, no husband, no dependable family and friends?
See, I actually think it's easier for people in that type of situation to move. (Personal experience, my sister has been that "waffle house waitress".) Nothing to take with you, really. My area again as an example. You can rent a fully furnished house around here for maybe $600/month. Sure, it wouldn't be fun and you'd be on a shoestring but you'd be safER and your kids are in a better environment. Heck, a single mom with two kids could use the tips from one night at work to buy the bus tickets.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 20, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.02095 seconds with 8 queries