Thread: Deer snorting
View Single Post
Old October 13, 2006, 06:03 PM   #17
FirstFreedom

Capn charlie, that is a very cool & weird story; it makes you really wonder whether he would have tried to gore you with horns had you been on shore. Who says deer ain't *dangerous game*?

Deer snorts have scared the poopy outta me at times; lol. When they're within 40 yards or so, and the air is quiet, and you don't see them - it is LOUD. Sometimes though, deer will snort even if you are downwind if they SEE something awry, and try to smell what's up. I actually remember them once doing this when they saw my blind, and then they wandered off, not running (3 of them). Not slow, but not running, either. So perhaps if they SMELL you, and then blow, you're done for on THAT deer. But if they SEE you, and blow, perhaps not....

Quote:
I have snorted back and had them come trotting up ready to fight, I have snorted and had them crash and trash the forest in an effort to get away from me. I have started waiting after the first snort and making a muffled snort if they snort at me twice. last year this brought in two bucks and also kept a Doe from walking away until after I had popped the buck.
Now THAT is good information; thanks. Something you don't learn on the tv shows or the books/magazines/websites. I may have to try that during the rut. It seems like, that during the rut, ANYTHING that remotely resembles a challenging deer, but which would *ordinarily* be detected as human BS by the deer, are actually possibly going to work, since their minds are clouded by testosterone (just as human males minds are 24/7/365).

Clayfish, that is also good info; thanks.

Quote:
Honestly, some people....not even HUNTING and they get bucks coming to them.
I know; it's sickening, isn't it, S.M.?

Page generated in 0.02939 seconds with 8 queries