View Single Post
Old October 28, 2013, 04:58 PM   #10
maillemaker

Quote:
I'm talking about using factory cartridges which were designed to duplicate the specs of the original BP loading. My buddies are telling me that they think it would be unsafe due to the different ways the powders burn, but logically, that should make the slower burning smokeless safer to use.
I understand. That's why I caveated that unless you really, really know what you are doing, it's a bad idea to try and figure out what the smokeless equivalent of a BP load is. I have read of people who have successfully done it, but I personally would not risk it in an antique firearm manufactured with steels before the age of smokeless powder. Especially since the firearms are irreplaceable.

Quote:
Now, over 100 years later, the common thought is that you should not use smokeless in anything designed for BP ! So if they were designed to replace the original BP loads safely, won't they still do that? Using the original loadings of course, not any of the loads designed to produce more power in today's modern guns, does the way either burn really make any difference in safety? In other words, if I stick to loads that have equal or less velocity and energy than the original BP loads; is there an inherit safety risk involved in using smokeless as opposed to BP?
In theory, I believe you are correct. The issue is, can you be certain that the smokeless load you are going to test is going to actually safely work?

You only get once chance to be wrong.

I have found some YouTube videos where people are shooting 45 LC cartridges in both BP and Smokeless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzJKLYySlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTfeF4yhc8

However, the Winchester appears to be a reproduction and the Colt SAA was sent back to the factory in the 1950's where it had a new barrel and cylinder put in it. That means modern metallurgy.

If there are companies out there selling factory smokeless cartridges marketed as safe to use in BP firearms, you might be OK. Personally, I would not risk it. If you absolutely are set on trying it, I'd call the ammunition manufacturer and see if they warrant it for use in pre-smokeless firearms.

Steve

Page generated in 0.03950 seconds with 8 queries