View Single Post
Old July 3, 2011, 08:15 AM   #4
AK103K

The "to each his own" thing is pretty much it. You have to decide if what you choose is going to work for you.

Until kydex showed up, I used leather because it was all that was available. I suffered, my guns suffered, and I went through a lot of holsters.

If you carry IWB, are active and sweat, you dont want leather. It gets wet, stays wet (they dont dry out overnight), and you and your gun suffer. Wet leather will rub you raw with every movement if your tee shirt rides up and the holster ends up against your skin. Add to that the chemicals used in tanning the leather, and the burn begins. Kydex on the other hand, slides smoothly across wet skin, and has no chemicals that will aggravate that raw spot. Kydex is also impervious to sweat, so your gun stays dry too.

As far a wear to your guns finish, kydex usually wears in a couple of specific spots, where the holster contacts the gun. Leather on the other hand, wears the guns finish more overall, as its contacting it more over all. Kydex doesnt normally allow dirt and debris to embed and is easily cleaned by rinsing it in the sink and drying it with a paper towel, ready for instant use. Leather on the other hand, does tend to allow things to get embedded in the leather, which arent easily removed, if at all, and tend to accelerate wear to the finish. Trying to clean one doenst really accomplish anything other than getting the dust bunnies out.

Page generated in 0.02947 seconds with 8 queries