View Single Post
Old November 11, 2008, 11:09 AM   #157
OldMarksman
Staff

From Fiddletown:
Quote:
It may come down to how sure you are that it's something innocent. Because that still takes us back to the fundamental reality that it it's not something innocent, and if the BG is willing to engage you, you are at a substantial disadvantage and will probably come to harm.
Yes indeed! The extent to which I will "check out" a noise that may indicate that someone may be stealing from my property, for example, does not include anything that would put me at risk.

I don't see any reasonable approach other than listening further, without exposing myself to risk. The primary risk is that of being ambushed, of course, but if one's concept of checking something out involves going forth with a firearm, other key risks involve shooting an innocent person or being charged with a gun crime. All for the sake of property.

None of the foregoing would be to my liking.

I speak as a civilian. A policeman within his own jurisdiction would have different obligations and indemnities and frankly, would be better trained. The extent of any action he might take without calling for help? Perhaps an LEO might care to comment.

Page generated in 0.02284 seconds with 8 queries