View Single Post
Old March 10, 2014, 10:30 AM   #20
Saltydog235

I read a lot of positive press on the round from media publications. Then you come onto message boards and there is a whole lot of bashing the round by people who have never shot even one round of it. You hear things like barrel burner, fad, can't do this or that. Some of them have some pretty compelling reasoning behind their theories but the truth is no one knows all that much about it.

I find it intriguing and wouldn't mind putting my hands on one to give it a whirl but not at the cost of a $1,600.00 rifle only made by Nosler. To me that is not a good boding for the cartridge long term. I imagine that ammo is going to be expensive and hit a niche market for the short term. Ballistically it is an impressive looking cartridge on paper.

We've had some cutting scheduled on the deer club that is going to make for some possibly long shots. I have a few 7mmMags in nice rifles that I don't particularly relish dragging through the muck and mud. I've been in the market for a longer range round than my 7mm08 gives me, lets face it 30-50" of drop for the round I shoot isn't conducive to getting a solution in a deer blind. I just purchased the Remington Long Range 700 in 7mmMag to give me a bit more range. Before I bought the gun I contacted Remington to see if they were going to offer this cartridge in that platform, their response was "not at this time."

With no major production manufacturers slated to pick the offering up, I'm thinking the cartridge will be short lived and limited in popularity.

It's got my interest but I'm not much for being a guinea pig for the Nosler Marketing Department. Personally I'm in a wait and see mode, I want more data and real world reports. I tend to buy a project rifle every year just to play with, I'll wait and see where it goes in the future, I just don't want to be stuck with something I can't get rid of. A long time standard is saleable, a niche one is not unless you want to take a big loss on it.

Page generated in 0.03980 seconds with 8 queries