View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013, 12:42 PM   #21
LeadZinger

NR5P

By now you should realize you have come to the right place if you want to find out about BP weapons. Lot of experience here and everyone has a take, so I'll add my two cents.

First decision is always historical or something that justs shoots BP effectively. If the decision is the later, then hands down as many have indicated get a Ruger. Dependable, rugged, well engineered and powerful the right Ruger can be a lot of fun. If you decide some historical design is of interrest then compare the Pietta and Uberti lines (currently the only two manufacturerers active in the mass market. Pietta has a lot of guns in their line that are not completely historically accurate, rather the figment of someone's imagination, or perhaps the marketing departments answer to the modern day consumer.

Pietta is the price leader, and Cabella's the mass merchandiser of preference. Their guality of product has improved vastly over the years and it is hard to fault them in that area. Two areas that many complain about, the grips are shaped to the large side with a bell bottom, and the obnoxious advertising on the side of the barrell (my personnal favorite peeve). They produce alot of models and are readily available.

Uberti has been in the reproduction game going back to the late fifty's. They produce a smaller line of products, but many will say of more consistent quility. This is always a point of discussion, or debate, when BP'ers get together. Beretta now owns Uberti, and to my mind, for whatever reason there just does not seem to be the supply in the market that was enjoyed in the past. You have to look for them more than the Pietta and generally they are priced higher.

Colt vs. Remminton is always another issue. Black Powder requires more though cleaning than you are used to with modern firearms. Personally I find the Colts much easier to clean since you disassemble the barrel/loading hand, cylinder, from the frame and soak in hot water. Reove the grips and you can toss in the frame also but that is not necessary with every cleaning. The Remingtons appeal seems to be the apparently stronger frame with it's top strap. Look at the arbors on both and you will be able to determine how the Colt functions just as well.

You indicated that you might want a lot of power and a 'big boom'. In the BP world the Ruger will certainly provide that. What no one seems to have mentioned, and you might consider, are the Colt Dragoons in .44. These were 'horse' pistols and you can really load them up. However, the "big boy" of the BP world is the Colt Walker, the most powerfull handgun in the world for decades, long after the percussion era ended. Mount one on an axle with wheels and you have a cannon!

Decide what you want from BP shooting then go handle some different guns is the best advice written so far. The addictive nature of this particular aspect of sport shooting can not be stressed enough. Don't really worry about what "first" gun you buy will be as it will not the last one.

Page generated in 0.03209 seconds with 8 queries