View Single Post
Old November 16, 1999, 01:15 PM   #1
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I have a Colt New Service Army Model SN 125xxx. in 45 acpwith a 5.5 inch barrel and fixed bade and notch sights. There are additional serial #'s on the frame, cylinder yoke, and inside left side cover which ALL match. It is marked 1917 Army Model on the butt. It has a nickel plated lanyard loop, trigger and hammer, the grips are smooth black horn. (replacements I'm sure) There are no import stamps and its marked United States Government Property on the underside of the barrel. I'm positive it was re-blued a long time ago as the rampant colt has been "filled in" with blueing (and the horse looks poorly stamped or was badly worn), which is DEEP blue/black instead of charcoal or parkerized finish. There are other tiny nicks/dings that were also cleaned and re-blued on the grip frame. I know its not a pristine gun, but its a NICE shooter (shiny bore and cylinders) and I got it for a STEAL before the SW and Colt brazilian contract guns started showing up. (I paid about $275 for it in 1994.)

My question is... is this a real WW1 gun??

(I know colt and SW produced something like 300,000 45 acp revolvers combined to suppliment the scarce and costly to produce 1911) (that was in 1917). Or is this more likely a ww2 era revolver? My guess is this was a DCM gun sold to an NRA member in the 50's ands reblued at that time . Based on other models of the New Service revolver I've seen its DEFINITELY worth more than I paid for it. I doubt this one is worth "lettering", but its a neat bit of curiousa. I bought it because of an article I saw on the big 45 revolvers in an early 80's shooter's digest, and the fact that Sid Hatfield (sheriff of mingo county in the west virginia mine wars) carried TWO of the beasts. (my family is from That part of the country.) Oh and Sam Spade carried one in his car.

I can take a pic of it if need be for additional info.

Dr.Rob

Page generated in 0.03169 seconds with 8 queries