View Single Post
Old September 18, 2011, 11:40 AM   #38
TXGunNut

I keep my modest number of primers in a single dry box. It holds all I need but the Federal packaging crowds things a bit. I think the codes cited have more to do with insurance than govt regs and I wouldn't want a fire claim denied just because I felt the need to keep a large qty of primers in my loading room.
I've noticed something odd about pistol brass lately also, Sevens. Just got back into reloading 45acp and it's obvious more than a few brands are coming off the exact same type of machine, possibly even the same machine. My 10-20 yr old brass came off a wide variety of machines. A Precision Delta rep told me years ago that they bought their catridge forming equipment from Winchester and at times would make cases for WW, simply changed the headstamp die. With the widespread practices of outsourcing and corporate mergers it's probably very difficult to tell who actually makes a given product, cartridge cases are no exception.
Who's to say that primers aren't produced in a factory that fills an order for one company one month and another company the next? Priming formulas and packaging can probably be changed with little fuss. Many big companies won't discuss who actually makes their products, sometimes it's because it's a rival company and sometimes it's because they change vendors from time to time.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; September 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Page generated in 0.02072 seconds with 8 queries